On Wednesday last week i got to spend a couple of hours shooting a short, it was primarily a test to get used to some new equipment. It went fairly well and we managed to get a good range of shots. It was a case of trying to make a DJ set out of a kitchen and to use the lights to help the effect. Over the course of the evening i managed to get around thirty minutes of usable footage that I need to whittle down to just Five.
As you can see I’m using a canon 60DDSLR, using various lenses throughout the shoot. For Audio i used a Zoom H4n recorder, but I’ll only need minimal sound as I’ll be overlaying a track once the edit is done. For lighting i was using two of my photography lights that help spit out 3200 kelvin light. I had a makeshift dolly and a steadicam for some hand-held shots, We used a black sheet to help with some of the set dressing moving it to fit and give some continuity.
It’s important to improvise while shooting and finding my friends jacket as great for some added mood lighting, covering the filter shed a deep red across the room and was a great last-minute effect.
As for the writing this week I did continue but I have no daily break down. I wrote every day, but most have been reviews for movies. If you want to do me a favour pop over and give them a read. Desperado review there are more there, feel free to comment away.
This weeks total is 5133 not bad. It’s been a mix of writing and re-writing trying to get the short film script as tight as possible. Everything has creeped together far to quickly. I’m rushing through now, i should be filming on Wednesday or thursday at the latest.
A grand total of 5653, on Friday morning I got s bit of good news. A few friends schedules cleared up and it now looks like we’re all free for 3 days in a few weeks time. That means that I can finally get a short film made.
I dug out a few scripts, including one I really liked so I’ve been working on that since Friday as well as triple checking all the equipment.
Be more week off prep work and then I begin filming.
I am really struggling through this rewrite. What is the rewrite stage?
I know initially you just try to get the story down, the basics. That’s easy enough. I can sit down and knock the first time in a fairly short period if time.
I usually give it a few weeks before going back and reading the draft while taking notes on the story and characters. Finding out all the plot holes and character inconsistencies.
I sit down and start to write the second draft. Although now I’m taking care to make sure that the story flows better and the characters are all individuals.
It seems to be a slow process. What am I doing wrong?
After the month of Camp nanowrimo I took a holiday of sorts.
Monday – 500
Tuesday – 573
Wednesday – 693
Thursday – 543
Friday – 529
Saturday – 518
Sunday – 500
A total of 3856, I really took my foot of the pedal.
This was a rather strange week where I worked on nothing particular. I re-wrote a little, started two short stories and then gave up. I started the Insanity workout, which is great, but leaves you exhausted. I had a head cold that left me a little groggy. Then there was the lazy gene where all I wanted to do was watch movies which is another of my passions. Any movie fan should join Letterboxd, this is my page.
Next week I promise to devote to the rewriting which is where I always struggle. Now that crafting the story is done I feel it’s a bit of a job going back through it, but I must.
Well it is officially the last night of camp. We had our ups and downs. There’s been joy and tears and in the end I walk away with my short story complete and satisfied with my effort. Sure I could have done lots of things differently, but I didn’t so there is no point worrying about that now.
Day Total – 1284
Day Goal – 667
The reason my total is unusually high is that I wanted to complete the story, have that first draft finished and I managed it, just.
My cabin failed its target also, which stings a little. Only one other member met their goal. One came so close 40k of a 50k goal.
As I sit posting my last camp update, I wonder how I can fill my blog. At the start of this year I made two promises to my self, to write regularly and get something out into the world. My second promise was to get into shape. I have always been fat, chubby or robust, which ever you choose is fine. I lost some weight at the end of last year and I have done well so far this year, I’m now officially healthy thanks to one of those BMI tests.
My fitness regime usually consists of running two – three times a week and for some reason I decided to add the insanity workout into my schedule, two days in and I fear it may destroy me. Watch out for weekly updates on that and of course my writing up dates.
Today I made it past my target. Although my story isn’t quite complete, but I have one day left till I have to validate. It looks like my cabin has a long way to go, with no chance of completing our target.
Ten weeks straight, the new writing routine has taken hold. It also seems that my weekly updates are in a habit if being late as well.
Monday – 1013
Tuesday – 686
Wednesday – 701
Thursday – 669
Friday – 700
Saturday – 847
Sunday – 743
This week the word count is 5359. Which means for the 10 weeks that I’ve been in my new routine I’ve written 45,563 words.
It’s a great start and hopefully something I’ll continue to build upon.
I’ve found the last week to be the hardest. I feel a little burnt out but I’ll push through